Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Top 5 DVD Director's Commentary I Want to Hear

One of the most interesting and least viewed segments on any DVD is the director's commentary. Unless you are a film major, there is nothing too interesting in hearing the director talk about how he shot the scene, or came up with yet another crane shot. Or how awesome it was to work with a certain actor. But that doesn't mean that there aren't things I would love to hear in a director's commentary. I listen to them only because one day, I want to hear one of the following things:

5. "I did this sequel to answer all the unanswered questions raised in 'American Pie Presents Band Camp.'"

4. "I should've gone to law school."

3. "The producers gave me $30 million to bring this movie to life. And, as you can see from this scene, I spent it all on cocaine."

2. "You should've waited to buy this. The Extended Director's Cut comes out next week."

1. "This is where I told Dane Cook to really get into the meat and heart of this character, to find his depth and range. Show off his inner humanity and emerging affection for her. And here is where he completely ignores me."

No comments: